Pumpkin, ginger, cinnamon, and cookie dough…these are the smells and tastes of Halloween. Nothing says “Happy Halloween” like delicious, home-baked, hand-decorated, Halloween-themed treats! Do you want to do something special for Halloween this year? You can try a new recipe or give your favorite recipe a Halloween flair. Cookies by Design loves Halloween treats, and we have some great ideas to share.
You can give any cookie recipe instant “spook” appeal by decorating the cookies with a Halloween theme. It doesn’t have to be hard. Different cookie recipes can be versatile. Here are a few decorating ideas:
- Substitute Halloween-colored M&M’s into chocolate chip cookies to make them look like they belong at a fall party.
- Use pumpkin, tombstone, ghost, and skull-shaped cookie cutters for sugar cookie or gingerbread cookie recipes.
- Frost sugar cookies with the faces of pumpkins, skulls, moons, or bats.
Caramel-dipped apples are an undeniable Halloween favorite. You can give each caramel-dipped apple a touch of spookiness by rolling them in Halloween-themed candy afterward, such as colored sprinkles, Oreo cookies, M&M’s, Reese’s Pieces, or even nuts. Here are some tips to help you get the perfect caramel apples:
- Chill apples in a fridge or freezer for several minutes first
- Insert sturdy lollipop sticks into apples before dipping
- Mix unwrapped caramels with a little milk for a smoother texture
- Dip and coat apples quickly, twisting to allow extra caramel to fall off
- Cover apples with sprinkles before caramel cools
- Have a pan covered with wax paper ready to place the apples
- Allow dipped apples to set and cool in fridge
Favorite Halloween Treats
Besides cookies, there are dozens of baked treats that seem to have a special place at Halloween. Zucchini cake and pumpkin bread are both fantastic recipes. You can decorate many types of cakes and brownies with Halloween themes. For example, try dressing up a pan of brownies as a graveyard by first adding chocolate frosting for the “ground,” sprinkling crushed Oreos to look like dirt, and then inserting oblong cookies into the top to look like tombstones. Let your imagination take over!
Halloween Gift Baskets
Do you need a Halloween treat that is easy to take to work or someone else’s party? Gift baskets of frosted Halloween cookies will do the trick. They make great gifts for co-workers, bosses, hosts, or even as table decorations. We recommend using a theme for your gift basket, such as pumpkins, skulls, tombstones, or a Halloween color theme. Check out the Halloween cakes and trays from Cookies by Design for some great ideas.